Mr. Lovich is SAC’s Co-Managing Partner. He is primarily responsible for firm operations and oversight of pre-litigation and litigation work. Mr. Lovich has more than 38 years of litigation experience, including 15 years as the chief trial lawyer and managing attorney for the Los Angeles law offices of two of the country’s largest insurance companies. In that capacity, he had direct and primary responsibility for all trials in Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego counties.
Since 1995, he has held a Preeminent A-V Peer Review rating with Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible, in legal ability and ethical standards, and has been named a “Southern California Super Lawyer” since 2011. He has first-chaired more than 30 complex and high-dollar jury trials, in addition to hundreds of judicial and contractual arbitrations. As a Certified National Institute of Trial Advocates (NITA) instructor, Mr. Lovich has been responsible for the development, implementation and presentation of national trial advocacy training programs. He has also served on national legal audit teams, auditing both financial and litigation management requirements. Finally, he has served as a superior court-appointed arbitrator on more than 150 judicial arbitrations.
In 2014, Mr. Lovich was named national legal counsel for the American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management, (AAHAM), the premier national organization for healthcare revenue cycle professionals in the country. Also, in May 2016, Mr. Lovich was invited to testify before the United States Senate Commerce Committee on the impact of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act on the healthcare industry. Following that testimony, in 2020, Mr. Lovich was appointed by the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai, to serve on the FCC Hospital Robocall Protection Group, providing best practices for telecommunications providers to protect hospitals from unwanted and illegal robocalls that disrupt patient care.
- California, 1984
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2013
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2009
- United States District Court for the Central District of California, 1985
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, 2006
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 2006
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California, 2009
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA)
- National Association of Trial Advocates (Certified Trainer)
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management (National Legal Counsel)
- AAHAM- Chairman Law and Ethics Committee – Western Regional Chapter
- California Society for Healthcare Lawyers
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
Presentations and Publications
- “The Dangers of Agreeing to an Independent Review Organization Requirement in a Hospital Services Agreement” American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management (AAHAM)- The Journal of Healthcare Administrative Management (Summer 2014).
- “A Rose is a rose is a rose…The value of authorization of treatment and verification of benefits in reimbursement cases”, American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management (AAHAM)- The Journal of Healthcare Administrative Management (Spring 2013).
- “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Managed Care Contracting”, SAC Walnut Creek Seminar (October 2012).
- Escaping Co-Pays and Deductibles by Abusing the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Southern California HFMA Newsbrief newsletter (July, 2012).
- The Development of the Case Theme, Address Before the American International Group National Trial Skills Seminar, IBM Conference Center, Palisades, New York (August 15, 1999).
- The Examination and Cross Examination of Expert Witnesses, Address Before the American International Group National Trial Skills Seminar, IBM Conference Center, Palisades, New York (August 16, 1998).
- Litigation and Trial of Employment Related Issues, Address Before the American International Group National Trial Skills Seminar, IBM Conference Center, Palisades, New York (October 21, 1997).
- Compliance With Workplace Regulations Concerning The Physically Challenged, Address Before the American International Group National Trial Skills Seminar, IBM Conference Center, Palisades, New York (October 23, 1997).
- Civil Procedure for the Claims Professional, Address Before The Hartford Insurance Group (June 1990).
- HFMA Educational Road Show- “Managed Care Contracting Issues” and “Clinical Denials-The Legal Aspect” – March 2016 – Tuscon, AZ, April 2016 – Prescott, AZ and June 2016 – Kingman, AZ
- American Case Management Association (ACMA) Physician Advisory Conference, – “Increasing Your Success Rate on Clinical Denials” – October 2016 – San Diego, CA
- Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital – “Managed Care Contracting” and “Increasing Clinical Denial Success Rates” – Fall 2016
- HFMA Idaho-Winter Educational Meeting – “Manged Care Contracts” and “Clinical Denials-Effective Strategies” – February 2017
- Stanford Health Care – “Litigating Reimbursement Denials” – Spring 2017
- University of California, San Francisco – “Current Issues on Healthcare Reimbursement” – Spring 2017