Mr. Sullivan joined the firm in 2005 as senior trial counsel and now heads the firm’s Litigation Department. Specializing in complex contract disputes, he spearheads the firm’s efforts at the trial court and appellate levels on behalf of California’s health care provider community.
Mr. Sullivan has amassed more than 20 years of experience in complex civil litigation. Over his career, Mr. Sullivan has represented a variety of institutional clients including The Gillette Company, State Compensation Insurance Fund, ARCO Products Company and Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.
Representative Appellate Matters
- Marin General Hospital v. Modesto & Empire Traction Co., 581 F.3rd 941 (9th Cir. 2009)
- Catholic Healthcare West Bay Area v. Seafarers Health & Benefits Plan, No. 07-15281, 2008 WL 4951648 (9th Cir. Nov. 18, 2008).
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center v. National League of Postmasters of the United States, 497 F.3rd 972 (9th Cir. 2007).
- Muhammad v. Ben Franklin Bank of Illinois, No. B163865, 2004 WL 909426 (Cal. App. 2nd Dist. Apr. 29, 2004).
- Rail Services of America v. State Compensation Insurance Fund, 110 Cal. App. 4th 323 (2nd Dist. 2003).
- Gordon’s Cabinet Shop v. State Compensation Insurance Fund, 74 Cal. App. 4th 33 (4th Dist. 1999).
J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California, Berkeley, 1988
Visiting Scholar, Harvard Law School 1987-88
B.A, University of California, Los Angeles, 1977
- California, 1988
- Nevada, 1994
- Arizona, 2013
- Washington, 2014
- Oregon, 2015
- Idaho, 2015
- Iowa, 2016
- Hawaii, 2016
- Texas, 2017
- Alaska, 2017
- Florida, 2018
- Montana, 2021
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2007
- United States District Court for the Central District of California, 1989
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, 2005
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 2005
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California, 1989
- United States District Court for the District of Idaho, 2015
Presentations and Publications
- Escaping Co-Pays and Deductibles by Abusing the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Southern California HFMA Newsbrief newsletter (July, 2012).
- Computer-Generated Re-Enactments As Evidence in Accident Cases, 3:2 High Technology Law Journal 193 (Fall 1988).